A garden is the best alternative therapy.

***UPDATE*** (I have transplanted creeping thyme between the flagstones on the path, click here to view Thyme To Transplant Between the Flagstones)

The landscaping project is well on its way now.  After coming home early yesterday, I drove down to Austin Landscaping Supplies and picked up a 1/2 yard of soil for the native plant beds.  With a little help from my daughter, we cut open a bag full of paper grocery bags, then used those to line the bottom of the bed (after the sod was removed).  Then we unloaded the dirt and dumped it in one of the beds.  The half yard was enough to fill one of the beds completely.   Then Michelle and I got up early this morning so I could strip the sod from the other bed, then we ran down to ALS again for another half yard.  With my daughter and my wife’s help, we had completed the beds before noon and were sitting enjoying an ice-cold glass of tea while we marveled at our work.

We arranged the plants in the bed to get a feel for how they will look.  We had to play with them a little – and we still have about thirteen plants that are being shipped and haven’t arrived.  Ten of those are milkweed plants and three are black-eyed susans.  They were on sale with reduced shipping, so I thought, “Why not?”  Butterflies love B.E.S., and mine that I’m growing from seed are not looking great.  We haven’t yet transplanted any of the plants, but that is something we’ll tackle today or tomorrow.  I just wanted to put out a quick update of the progress.

Native bed 1: Verbena, Aster, Milkweed, Lantana, Black Eyed Susans ... and more

Native bed 1: Verbena, Lantana, Fall Aster, Milkweed, Thyme, Black-Eyed Susans and more

Native bed 2: Indigo Spires, Salvia Greggii, Rosemary, Mexican Mint Marigold, Black Eyed Susans, Copper Canyon Daisies, Trailing Lantana, Zexmenia, Butterfly Weed, Milkweed, Four Nerve Daisies

Another view of the second native bed


Comments on: "Update: Garden Path and Butterfly Garden installation" (2)

  1. I have found through experience that grass right next to an irregular stone dividing wall is a real pain to cut. Weed-eater string breaks against the rocks and, of course, the mower can’t get in that close. I used a propane torch with a long handle to get rid of the grass, about once every two weeks. However, in subsequent gardens I have always had a “mower strip”. This is something like mortared block or cement barrier set at turf level and extending down about 6″. It’s wide enough for the mower wheel to run along it and the rocks that divide grass from garden sit on the other edge of it. That way the grass can’t get into the garden and there is no pesky trimming to be done.

    • roundrockgarden said:

      yes, it has proven to be a little more labor intensive than i thought … every few weeks I have to move the stones and pull up the grass. the weed eater does well enough in between, but i’m thinking about doing something else instead. i do love the irregular stone divider though!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: