It looks like the transplants are starting to take off now after a few days – the broccoli all looks to have survived the deeper planting and their stems appear firm.
A little added luck: the only spinach plant that sprouted, which then got nibbled off by our tubby cat, also looks to have survived.
The lettuce needs to be transplanted from the starter kit, so I’ll do that tomorrow or over the weekend. Meanwhile, I have lettuce transplants temporarily sitting in plastic cups awaiting to go in my mother-in-law’s garden beds. I’m surprised at how quickly the lettuce transplants have grown over the past few days. Although they are the same age as the plants in the starter kit, they’re easily double their size now that they’re in a larger container. The roots on the lettuce plants still in the starter lit have escaped their cells and are snaking along the mat-wick. Amazingly, I found roots going through the mat-wick to the reservoir below! I’d say it’s time to transplant them! Also germinated are several Verbena, Sweet Alyssum, and Mexican Mint Marigold (left 3 rows of starter kit). I checked the flat of alyssum plants I had last fall. It’s been sitting outside. They’ all seeded and have since re-sprouted, so I gave them a good watering to help them along.
I’m pretty happy with the setup and with the results thus far. I was worried about the broccoli, but I think it’s going to do just fine if not better now.