The corner of the yard is slowly filling up with spearmint and peppermint plants. At the end of September, I took a bunch of stem and root cuttings from the mother plants as well as a few established clones and stuck them in the ground in the southeast corner of the yard. The spot is pretty shaded from the Texas Lilac tree growing in the corner of the neighbor’s yard, but the mints don’t seem to notice. They’ve sent out runners in all directions now, and I see the tips of many more cuttings poking through the dirt (click on images below to see larger pics). Both varieties should be hardy in this zone through the winter, and I should have a very well-established and FULL bed of mint by next Spring. I’m sure I’ll have plenty to offer for cuttings if anyone is interested.
A garden is the best alternative therapy.
“Soil is a living entity:
the crucible of life,
a seething foundry in which
matter and energy are in
constant flux and life is
— Daniel Hillel,
Out of Earth 1991
Authored by Joseph in Gardening Zone 8b
© 2010-2013 Eternal Forms Photography. All Rights Reserved. No unauthorized reproduction.
The photos on this blog are meant to be enjoyed - all of them can be viewed in a larger size by clicking the photo.
Thank you for reading and viewing!
- Beautiful Amaryllis in Bloom
- The Only Color I See Outside Is In My Own Backyard.
- Basil Loves Texas Heat
- It’s a boy!
- Building a Retreat Web
- Feathered Friends
- A Good Buzz
- Thinking Small
- Silverleaf Nightshade flower
- Keeping My Interest
- Vegetable Harvest
- Beneficial Insect Spotlight: Paper Wasp
- Macro Monday 5.9.11
- The Butterfly Garden and The Reason for My Missing Butterflies
- Walking in the Garden and Enjoying Life
Top Posts Today
- Flowering Plants for Texas and Natives
- Black Swallowtail Caterpillar
- Vegetable Planting Dates for Central Texas
- Thyme to Transplant Between the Flagstones
- Beneficial Insect Files: Black Swallowtail Caterpillar
- How to Harvest Thyme
- Harvesting and Drying Herbs: Lavender, Oregano, Thyme and Marjoram
- How to Harvest Sage
- Red Admiral Butterfly
Search Calendar for Posts
Previous Months’ Entries
Austin Area Garden Blogs and Beyond
The following bloggers are a source of information and inspiration. Many are gardeners in the Austin area as well.
Blog Category Search:
Search Blog Tags:
- About Us
- Why Organic?
- Butterfly Terms
- 530,443 hits